Thursday, January 15, 2009

January Randomness #3

Extreme Makeover Home Edition came to town and they moved the bus today.

Why must people wait for something like this to be involved in the community around them? Don't get me wrong, I think it is great that they were forced to turn away volunteers - means there is a great volunteer spirit in town. However, this town (and any other for that matter) need volunteers for things more than just building houses in seven days. On average I volunteer twenty - thirty hours a week in volunteer work because I feel it so important to give back (also helps that about fifteen of those hours are in teaching that are helping to prepare me for bigger and better things). Could you imagine if the 4,000 people who signed up wanting to be volunteers for building a house each gave the four hours they were willing to commit to the house and did something else in the community. That would be 16,000 hours or the equivalent of paying 2,000 peopple to work a normal eight hour day. The end result could be unbelievable.

But alas, I doubt we will see much difference since people just want to go be on a television show and meet celebrities versus make a real difference in the community around them. I hope that I am proven wrong on this one. Only time will tell

1 comment:

laurie said...

Is this you, Phillip?